Thursday, April 9, 2009

Life Throws A Curve


You never know when a phone call will bring about a drastic change in your life. Last night around 7:00, I had just taken my makeup off and got into bed to watch T.V. I thought that the worst thing about this night was that I still had a headache that I had been dealing with all day. But one phone call made me forget about that headache.


It was mother calling to say that she had just received a phone call from the lady who was sitting with my grandmother. She said that my grandmother had past out and that the ambulance and paramedics had been called Mother and Daddy were already on their way over there. Thinking that maybe she had just fainted, I told them to call me as soon as they found out something.


A few minutes later, they called back and said that she was in cardiac arrest. We then jumped out of bed and headed to the hospital. Immediately upon arrival they moved our family into a private waiting room and told us to wait to speak with the doctor. The E.R doctor came in and told us basically that she was alive only because she was on a respirator. He didn't give us very much hope. We were allowed to go back and see her. This was so difficult because she was hooked up to so many machines. The doctor told us a decision would probably have to be made soon about how long to keep her on life support.


Grandmother Erma had a mild heart attack and slight stroke about 6 weeks ago. After leaving the hospital, she did stayed in a recovery center for 20 days. She came just came home on Tuesday, but she had been saying she just didn't feel good. She ate dinner and then sat down in her recliner. Molly, the lady that stayed with her at night, said she then began to have a really bad coughing spell and then she just passed out.


This morning when we got to the hospital, nothing had changed. Her life long doctor, who really cared a lot for her, advised us that there was absolutely nothing could be done. My uncle and mother made the most difficult, but most unselfish decision, to let Grandmother Erma go.


As Mother, Daddy, Morris, Julie, my cousin Kay, and I were by her bedside, we had the honor of watching one of the sweetest ladies on earth take her last breath. She is now in the presence of Jesus. She will be greatly missed. Thanks for all the love you have given me for 49 years. We love you.


No comments:

Followers