Monday, October 6, 2008

Jury Duty-Day One

Well, it is 7:30 A.M. and now I sit and wait. I woke up at 4:30 A.M. and couldn't go back to sleep. I think it is a combination of Randall being out of town and knowing that I have to get up really early in order to be downtown around 7:20. It seems that there is something wrong with my alarm clock and I was a little nervous that the one I set was not set correctly. Hence, the waking up at 4:30.

I left the house around 6:30. I had to run by the bank and get cash out for the parking fee as well as money for vending machines. I am not usually on the road that early in the morning and found that there are a lot of people on the road early. I arrived at the Civic Center parking lot around 7:05, just in time for the first shuttle to be taken to the Courthouse. The first official thing we did when we arrived at the courthouse was to go through a metal detector. Well wouldn't you know it!!!! Deafening alarms went off as I went through. The officer said, "Ma'm, I need for you to go over to that officer. There another officer held a wand and he wanded me up and down, front and back. This was a little embarrassing because it was in front of all the other jurors coming in with me. I know they must have thought I was a terrorist or something:) I have no idea what set me off. I had on minimal jewelry. Who knows! But the wand search came up negative and I was allowed to proceed.

Everyone I met this morning seems to be in a wonderful mood. I guess most of them are just happy they are not at work. Now I am waiting in a large room at a chair with a desk top with everyone else. There are about 100 people here at this point with many more filing in as I write. It feels a little awkward as everyone just seems to be looking at one another. Very few people are talking. I think I hear one whispering conversation going on way in the back, but that's about it for conversing. More people are filing in. I was given a juror handbook when I came in. I guess now is a good time to see what it says.

8:05--Still sitting and waiting. About 300 in room now. A woman is beginning to speak to us now with beginning instructions and overview. She is telling us to expect a lot of sitting and waiting over the course of our week. Now we are waiting for the judge to come in and give us more instruction. We will be divided into groups of 15 panel members.

8:20--Judge Charlie Graddick gave us an overview of what we can expect. At this point--8:45--He has asked for those to come forward who will have a hardship such as a big loss of wages, caring for children, caring for sick in family, etc. They will give him their excuse and he will decide if they may be dismissed or not. About 40 people stand in the line. I think he allowed all to be dismissed. This goes on until 9:07.

9:20--We are placed randomly into panels. I have been assigned to Panel 2, Seat 15.

9:45--Panels One and Two are assigned to a criminal case in Judge Johnston's Courtroom. We are to go there immediately. We go down to floors and walk down to the courtroom at the end of the hall. As we approach the courtroom, I notice a family I have known all my life sitting along the wall where I know people sit that are waiting to have their case heard. I speak to them from a distance because I am not sure whether I am supposed to speak to them since I am a potential juror. I know if it is their case, I will have to be excused because I have known this family all of my life and I would not be able to be unbiased. As I passed my friend as I was going into the courtroom, she said, "I think you will be going home." I knew then, it was a case involving them.

Sure enough, the judge begins telling about the case. He then asks if anyone remembers this case happening 2 years ago. I raised my hand and told him I remembered it happening and I was also friends of the family of the boy who was shot. The judge then ask me if I would be able to judge the case unbiasedly. I told him I did not think so. He told me thank you.

I still had to stay in the courtroom and listen to all the other questions both attorneys asked all the other potential jurors. Questions like: Have you ever served on a jury before? Do you know any of the attorneys on either side? Do you know any of the witnesses? Do you have any guns in your home? Are you a member of the NRA? Has anyone in your family ever been a victim of a violent crime?

After a lot of questions, we were then asked to leave the courtroom and to be back at 11:30 and the jury would be announced. Not surprising at all, my name was not called. They told those of us not selected we could leave and be back at 9:15 in the morning. After walking back to the Civic Center, I grabbed a bite to eat and headed into the office.

I have always wanted to serve on a jury just for the experience of it. What were the chances that I would have known someone in a criminal trial. I couldn't believe it!! But I prayed before I left the house this morning and told God to use me if He needed me. So I guess I was needed there. As I walked out of the courtroom, the last thing I mouthed to my friend's was "I'll be praying for you." Maybe that's why God had me there.

No comments:

Followers