Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Jury Duty-Day Two

It is now 9:17 A.M. and I am sitting once again in the main large room for jury assimilation. Yesterday, I was very early because I was not sure exactly how much time it would take me to get downtown because of traffic. I allowed too much time. So today, I tried to make it where I would arrive only about 10 minutes early instead of 30 min. My calculations are still a little off because I was sweating it when I realized I was cutting it so close. The shuttle pulled up right after I got there and off we went. I think they tell you to be there at a certain time knowing that you might be a little late.

I spoke with a lady on the shuttle this morning who was on the last panel that was formed yesterday. She said they ended up making 11 panels. The rest of the people were allowed to go home.

I made it through the metal detector today without any alarms:) I then went up to the 8th floor and sat in my assigned Panel 2, Seat 15 Chair. We just sit and wait. After a while, roll call begins. After about 15 minutes, there are 3 people that still are not there. The girl at the courthouse says that she is now going to call these people and see where they are. A few minutes later she returns and tells Panels 9 & 10 that they are to report to a courtroom down the hall. They all line up and proceed out of the room. About 5 minutes later, here they all come back. The case was dismissed and they were not needed after all.

We all then continue to sit and wait. After a while, the court girl comes in and tells us that she is waiting to hear from another judge. She leaves out of the room and we continue to just sit.

Today, people are much more talkative than yesterday. I am able to easedrop on a most interesting conversation of the three people in front of me. The guy directly in front of me is a young black man who must weigh at least 350 lbs. He is also probably 6 ft. 7". He is one that can definitely be picked out of a crowd. He has a wonderful personality. In the seat next to him is a very proper, old Mobile, white woman. She has been dressed like a million dollars both days I have seen her, complete with a hat both days. It is obvious quickly after hearing this woman speak that she is highly educated. It is obvious from comments this woman makes and the way that she makes them that she is very opinionated. At first, you think she is snobbish, but after watching and listening her converse with both men on either side of her, she does not appear to be snobby at all with them. I guess this is another one of those times when the first impression I got is not truly correct. These two are quite a pair and were fun to watch and listen to. I'm glad they are near me because there is so much down time where we just sit and do nothing. They are my entertainment!

After what seems like an eternity, the court room woman comes in and tells us that the judge we have been waiting on sends word that their case has been dismissed as well. She tells us we are all free to go, but that there are 9 cases tomorrow and that we will all need to be there earlier in the morning at 9:00 because it should be a busy day. Getting downstairs is a feat in itself. Everyone is trying to get down at the same time and the elevators are very slow. I am at the back and it takes quite a while just to get out. I decided to take the leisurely walk instead of the shuttle back to the Civic Center. I really enjoy the walk. It is overcast and pleasant walking weather.

After I get in mu truck and pull out of the Civic Center parking lot, a police officer pulls in right behind me. When we get to the traffic light at Government St. I get in the left turn lane and he in the lane that is going straight . The light is red, so we both sit side by side. When the light turns green, I see a white SUV coming down Government not even beginning to slow down for the red light. It is obvious to me that she is going to run this red light, so I just sit. Because my truck is so much higher than the police car, he doesn't see to his left and see the car about to run the light. I hold my breath thinking I am getting ready to witness a wreck. He pulls out slowly into the intersection and sees the car just in time to slam on his brakes. He skid a little, just missing the SUV. After a second of recovery by the officer, he makes a hard right and the SUV has already pulled over knowing there is no hope, I guess. I am sure he was not a happy officer. Not only did they run a red light but they probably scared him to death as well. In the SUV's defense, the lights downtown are on horizontal oles rather than vertical and you really have to be looking for them. They are very easy to miss in my opinion. I really don't think this was a case of trying to speed up just to make it through the light. She just continued on at the rate of speed she had been going when going through the intersection. That's what you call really bad timing!

It is about lunch time and just as I get to the edge of downtown, my cell phone rings and it is Morris (My brother who works downtown) wanting to know if I can join him downtown for lunch. I think that sounds great, so I turn around and go to meet him at his office. I go up and meet most of his co-workers. After he does a few things, we walk to "Heroes" a great place for lunch. The quaint restaurant is evidently a favorite amoung the downtown crew. I ordered a Philly Steak Sandwich, fries and baked beans. All were delicious! I enjoyed great conversation with my baby brother and then to top off a great lunch, he even picked up the tab! What a great brother!

On my way home, I begin to really itch from a rash that has been on my arms for almost a week now. I have been putting creams on it, but it has not seemed to help. Randall thinks I need to be taking Benadryl, so I began taking it last night. I didn't take any this morning because it makes me so drowsy. I know that you have to continue to get Benadryl in your system before it will help. So I decide to go home and take some Benadryl. As usual, it made me very drowsy. So I took a quick nap and then back to work I went. I had a few things that I knew I needed to get done at the office.

Jury Duty, Day Three is on the horizon. I really hope that I get on a case, as long as it doesn't last too long because you know that it is only.......

11 Days until Vacation!!!!!!

No comments:

Followers